Spread the Word
Help Raise Awareness
There are many threats to Dugongs:
1) Illegal Hunting.
2) Loss of habitat from pollution.
3) Accidental capture in fishing gear.
4) Traditional hunting (unsustainable).
5) Boat strike.
6) Loss of food source, this can occur from:
a) coastal developments reducing the sea grass habitats;
b) large-scale flooding that causes the predicted sea level to rise and climate change.
7) Poor quality water in the Great Barrier Reef: caused by pesticides and nutrient run-off.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Inform your community on the threats that are out there for our Beautiful Dugongs.
- Inform your community that Dugongs are an ENDANGERED AUSTRALIAN species.
- DON'T LITTER: Pollution is one of the biggest threats for
Dugongs and the OCEAN.
- If you live near a water way try to keep pesticides to a minimum.
- Share our site on your social media to give us a broader outreach.